Day 1 - Welcome to Barcelona
|Check in to your choice of hotel here in one of Europe’s most alluring and enjoyable cities… Both the first class Ayre Hotel Rosellón and the superior first class K+K Picasso Hotel promise a warm Spanish welcome, air-conditioned comfort and great heart-of-it-all locations. Get started on your exploration of this friendly city with your 3-day Barcelona Card! It’s valid for unlimited rides on the metro and bus system, and free or discounted entry to many of the city’s top sites.|
Day 2 - Tailor your stay in Barcelona
|Barcelona offers a wealth of fascinating and historic sites to discover, and today you’ll have the opportunity to pursue your own particular interests as you tailor your stay in this captivating city. Just choose any one of these included half-day tours, each one lead by an engaging and knowledgeable guide:|
• Barcelona’s Historic Highlights: Explore Barcelona’s rich history, vibrant culture and cosmopolitan appeal on this guided morning tour through the city’s most captivating districts. You’ll see the impressive Cathedral and the charming streets of the historic Gothic Quarter. Continue to the bustling port and Olympic Village before taking in the great city views from Montjuic Hill. At Poble Espanyol (Spanish Village), you’ll have a chance to see more than 100 buildings from all across Spain, typical representations of the country’s diverse regions and cultures. This tour is offered daily except Dec 25 and Jan 1.
• The Genius of Gaudi : Discover the best known works of Antoni Gaudi the celebrated architect. You’ll visit Güell Park and the extraordinary Sagrada Familia, which was less than one quarter complete at the time of his death in 1926. Though the basilica is still incomplete, it is truly one of the most inspiring church buildings in the world. You’ll also drive along the elegant Paseo de Gracia boulevard to see Gaudi’s famous modernist homes including the colourful Casa Batlló and the striking Casa Mila, designed and constructed without a single straight line! This tour is offered daily except Dec 25 and Jan 1.
• The Road to Montserrat: Travel to Montserrat Mountain to visit the Royal Basilica, constructed in the 12th century and revered for its impressive Romanesque sculptures. This expertly guided, half-day excursion takes you into the scenic countryside of southern Spain, a colourful region of picturesque villages and captivating landscapes. This tour is offered daily except Dec 25 and Jan 1.
Day 3 - Barcelona as you wish
|This entire day is free to enjoy as you please. Your Barcelona Card is still valid for unlimited use of the city’s public transport network – and complimentary or discounted entry to many of Barcelona’s top attractions. Meals B|
Day 4 - Through the countryside to Madrid
|You’ll be escorted to the rail station to board the high-speed train bound for the capital. Upon arrival in Madrid, you’ll be warmly greeted and escorted to the city-center hotel of your choice, the first class Hotel Maria Elena Palace or the superior first class Wellington Hotel. The balance of this day is at leisure to enjoy as you wish. To get you started, your Madrid Card will gain you entry to more than 50 museums and monuments. It can also be used for Priority Access to top sites like The Prado and Royal Palace, and it offers great discounts at many of Madrid’s finest restaurants and Flamenco shows! Meals B|
Day 5 - Choose your sightseeing!
|The city’s extraordinary legacy of art, architecture and culture has blessed Madrid with a wealth of impressive sites to discover. Today, you can customize your vacation with the included escorted sightseeing tour of your choice. |
• Historic Madrid and the Royal Palace This expertly guided tour takes you along historic Paseo de la Castellana, one of the longest and widest avenues in the city. Passing through some of Madrid’s most elegant residential areas and bustling commercial districts, you’ll reach Real Madrid Stadium, a beloved city landmark, and Castilla Square. The highlight of your tour is, of course, a guided visit within the impressive Royal Palace. This stunning example of 18th-century Spanish architecture is one of the best preserved palaces in all of Europe and features imposing staircases, grand salons, beautiful courtyards and a mesmerizing collection of porcelains, silver objects and antique musical instruments. This tour is not offered when the Royal Palace is closed to the public for official events and functions.
• Madrid’s Architectural Highlights This guided panoramic tour is designed to showcase both the contemporary and historic faces of this lovely city, including the modern districts of Austrias and Isabelino as well as the ancient Moorish Quarter. You’ll admire elegant public squares, the university campus and Retiro Park. This tour is offered daily.
• Discover Toledo This half-day excursion explores one of Europe’s oldest cities. With a dramatic history stretching back more than 2,000 years, Toledo was successively a Roman municipium, the capital of a Visigoth Kingdom, a fortress city of the Emirate of Cordoba, an outpost of the Christian kingdoms fighting the Moors in the 16th century and the temporary seat of power under King Charles V. Revealing influences of its Arab, Jewish and Catholic heritage, the city’s outstanding monuments also offer splendidly preserved examples of medieval and Gothic architecture. Your walking tour in Toledo’s historic city center includes an inside visit to St. Tome Church. This tour is offered daily.
Day 6 - Madrid at your leisure
|This day is yours to enjoy as you wish. Of course, you can continue using your Madrid Card to explore more of the city’s sites at your own pace. Meals B|
Day 7 - Depart Madrid
|General Tours tour services end this morning after breakfast at your hotel. Or why not extend your journey to Morocco? It’s affordable and easy to reach! Just click “FreeStyle Add-ons” at left. Meals B|