Guaranteed Lowest Prices on Hurtigruten Cruises
Hurtigruten is sometimes referred to as the Norwegian Coastal Express. The 11 coastal ships sail almost the entire length of the country, completing the round-trip journey from Bergen to Kirkenes and back again in 12 days, calling 34 ports. The trip along the Norwegian coast has been described as the "World's Most Beautiful Sea Voyage." Hurtigruten's explorer ships MS Fram, MS Midnatsol and MS Nordstjernen offer Explorer voyages to Antarctica, Greenland, Iceland, Spitsbergen and Europe. In addition MS Midnatsol crosses the Atlantic Ocean twice every year.
Hurtigruten Cruises Promotions
For our best price on this cruise please call now 1-800-627-3753
- Iconic Savings Up to 30% OffMention Promo Code: PC49830
- BOGO On Expedition Cruising + 50% Off Solo TravelersMention Promo Code: PC50022
- Book Early For Epic AdventuresMention Promo Code: PC49842
- Young Explorers Save up to 50% OffMention Promo Code: PC49878
- Solo Travelers: No single supplementMention Promo Code: PC50064
Learn More About Hurtigruten Cruises
The Norway cruise line, Hurtigruten, once served as a travel provider between the villages lying along Norway's western coast and was known, in the U.S., as Norwegian Coastal Voyage. Today, Hurtigruten's 9 ships sail on Norwegian coastal express routes and take people on "winter" type adventures to Arctic and Antarctic locales. Journeys, called expeditions, enable travelers to see areas that once were inaccessible to travelers on ships. The itineraries for Hurtigruten voyages are designed to be the focal points of interest for Hurtigruten cruise experiences. Therefore, dining is not emphasized as it is in the U.S. cruise market. For example, two dinner seatings are provided and the ships' 3-course dinners are the same for everyone – all guests receive the same entrée, appetizer, and dessert. While Hurtigruten will acknowledge special dietary requests, some must be made prior to the departure date. Also, the 24-hour café onboard does not offer free snacks or meals. The liquor, beer, and wine, priced in the Norwegian currency, the kroner, are pricey when compared to other cruise travel lines. As a result, destination-rich travel itineraries are at the heart of each Hurtigruten cruise. These cruise/cargo trips do not come equipped with splashy entertainment, Broadway shows, or casino gambling. You are on an expedition – a journey where you can commune with Norway's Great Outdoors and other venues, where the lakes, mountains, and fjords are your primary form of entertainment. All Hurtigruten ships feature a small fitness center on board with the exception of the MS Lofoten, Nordstjernen, and Vesteralen. Some of the newer ships have a swimming pool or hot tub. For example, the Finnmarken boasts a pool while the Fram, Trollfjord, and Midnatsol feature hot tubs. You can visit an Internet café on all the ships, except the MS Vesteralen, Nordstjernen, Lofoten, and Polar Star. Internet use is free. However, the signal may not be as good in some areas as others.
- Based in Norway, Hurtigruten was first established by founder, Richard With, as a transportation company in 1893. Today, the cruise line features a fleet of custom-built expedition cruise ships that travel to 200 destinations in 30 countries across the globe.
- The 1893 Ambassador loyalty program refers to the date that Richard With, the founder, established the first weekly service of ship travel along Norway's coast. 1893 Ambassador club members enjoy exclusive benefits onboard ship and receive early notices of special offers or discounts. Complimentary membership is available to anyone who has traveled with Hurtigruten for 3 or more nights.
- Hurtigruten itineraries are frequently described as some of the world's most beautiful journeys. Not only do cruise-goers see stunning scenery, but they can also experience Norway above the Arctic Circle on some of the journeys. The cruise line also offers unique voyages to Antarctica and the Chilean Fjord.
- The Hurtigruten fleet of 9 vessels sails year-round onshore express routes in Norway. Guests can choose from the 6-night northward, 5-night southbound, or 12-night round-trip journeys, stopping at 34 ports-of-call for each one-way route.
- One of the unique cruises offered by Hurtigruten is a voyage to Spitsbergen, an island that lies between the North Pole or Arctic Circle and Norway.
- Hurtigruten's MS Fram makes expedition cruises during the summer to Greenland and operates as Hurtigruten's travel ship for world cruise journeys.
- Hurtigruten cruise ships are also used for cargo shipments. However, they still possess the feel and look of the traditional cruise vessel.
- Dining Information
- Health and Safety
- Payments / Refunds
- Smoking Policy
- Travel Protection
- Tipping Policy
- Why Hurtigruten?
Top Reasons To Choose Hurtigruten Cruises
- Hurtigruten is truly not your regular cruise. You won't spend time at formal events or themed gatherings. But you can enjoy some amazing scenery. For example, if you want to see the Northern Lights (the Aurora Borealis) in Norway, Hurtigruten will do its best to help you realize this goal.
- The food is excellent on Hurtigruten cruises. Ship travelers can enjoy a buffet breakfast and lunch while the menu for dinner is posted early in the morning. Although the menu for dinner is set, you can ask about a reasonable alternative without difficulty.
- Hurtigruten staff members are both friendly and helpful, whether they are part of the cleaning crew or serving staff. They also speak more than one language – English, Norwegian, and German are the usual languages spoken.
- If you want a cruise without the frills and want to see some dramatic scenery, you won't be disappointed by the ferry-type cruises offered by Hurtigruten. Because a Hurtigruten vessel is a working ship in Norway, and therefore makes deliveries, you will indeed experience a unique sailing adventure.
- Hurtigruten cruises give you more opportunities to see the scenery and chat with other passengers. The focus is on the destination and communication. If you want a more hands-on cruise experience, this travel adventure will give you a new perspective about seeing the sights and how you spend your time.
- Tours are well-organized. You can go on walking excursions as well as coach trips. If you take a cruise along Norway's coast, the guides can provide you with a lot of interesting details. You will learn a great deal about each locale's history and culture.
- You can see destinations that you cannot see on larger cruise ships. Because Hurtigruten ships make deliveries to villages, you can see sights that you would not be able to visit on a larger cruise vessel.
- Passengers receive a safety briefing before they board their ship.
Frequently Asked Questions About Hurtigruten Cruises
- What is Hurtigruten’s Northern Lights Promise?
The cruise company is so certain that you will see the Aurora Borealis on Norway cruises in the winter that they promise a free cruise if you don't see the lights.
- When is the Northern Lights season?
The Northern Lights season runs from October through March when there is less sunlight. The Northern Lights or Aurora Borealis appear above the Arctic Circle. Therefore, any cruises planned in the far north from October to March will provide you with the best opportunity for experiencing the phenomenon.
- What does an expedition cruise to South Georgia, the Falklands, and Antarctica feature?
This cruise usually takes place for 23 days and begins in Buenos Aries. Cruise-goers will see an abundance of wildlife, including penguins, seals, whales, and birds. Adventurers can also hike, ice-cruise, and kayak in Antarctica, the Falklands, and South Georgia. In addition, guests can go ashore on one of the remote beaches and spend a night in a tent. Cruise guests can view vast numbers of king penguins in South Georgia as well.
- What do you see when you visit Greenland on a Hurtigruten cruise?
This expedition cruise is a summer cruise with itineraries in June and July. Cruise guests explore Greenland's west coast around Disko Bay. This Arctic cruise adventure allows you to see glaciers and icebergs up-close. You can also learn more about the people who live in Greenland as well as the Inuit culture. Travelers visit the Ilulissat Icefjord, which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- How many passengers do Hurtigruten ships hold?
Hurtigruten's purpose-built ships are designed to accommodate 200 to 500 guests.
- Who leads the expedition cruise journeys for groups?
Expedition cruises are led by travel experts, which are passionate about adventure travel who wish to share their knowledge about a specific locale.
- What do your expedition or group tours include?
For this type of trip, all meals are included as well as snacks and coffee. The service is friendly and relaxed – no butler services. Organized offshore activities may include nature exploration, cultural events, or hiking, depending on the voyage's destination. Boots and walking poles are provided when required. Participants also receive an expedition jacket on voyages. Packages include the services of a professional expedition photographer, logbook, and all onboard activities.
- How are cruise types for Hurtigruten classified?
You can select from one of two cruise types when taking a Hurtigruten cruise. You can either select an expedition cruise to one of the various locations, including the Arctic and Antarctica, or a cruise that runs along the coast of Norway.
- Besides Norway, do Hurtigruten cruise ships travel to other Scandinavian cruise destinations, such as Iceland?
Yes. Cruises are featured for the "land of fire and ice," with Reykjavik, Iceland being one of the stops. You will experience the entire coast of Iceland and do some whale watching as well.
- What makes Hurtigruten different?
Hurtigruten offers Norway coastal cruises and expedition cruises on purpose-built working ships. Therefore, these ships ferry people from one port to the next, and cruise-goers get involved in active excursions. If you want to see the Arctic and Antarctic scenery or explore the coasts in destinations, such Norway, Iceland, Greenland, and Scotland, your no-frills journey will give you the chance to truly realize the best in a remote cruise journey or adventure travel cruise.
Health and Safety Protocols on Hurtigruten Cruises
Be assured that Hurtigruten always follow all safety guidelines as recommended by the Norwegian government. One reason for this confidence in us is because we already have exceptionally high hygiene procedures in place:
- As normal service resumes, Hurtigruten will be reducing the overall number of guests on ships, giving you plenty of space around you when aboard.
- In Hurtigruten's roomy restaurants, they are adding more seating sessions so that there will be fewer people having their meals there at any time.
- Instead of self-service buffets, the chefs will serve food directly to your individual plate.
- The kitchen will continue to uphold its usual high standards of hygiene and quality.
Strict cleaning practices on board
Count on us to already have a range of strict cleaning practices on board, with the cleanness of each ship also continuously monitored. Regular microbiological samples are taken and sent off to laboratories for testing and they use UV light to check surfaces in cabins, galleys and public areas.
Independent inspectors are invited to conduct scheduled and unannounced visits to all the ships several times a year. The excellent hygiene on board the ships is not something they leave to chance. It is the result of effective controls that have proven themselves time and again over decades of safe sailing.
In addition to this,
- Each ship will have a new team dedicated to ensuring communal areas are continually cleaned and disinfected.
- There will be limited use of saunas, swimming pools and gyms.
- Hurtigruten will also have appropriate markings on the ships to help keep a safe distance from others whenever queuing on board.
Staff and your well-being
- They have all recently completed the WHO’s official COVID-19 course for hygiene procedures and infection management.
- Before starting work, every member of the crew undergoes a health check.
- They have thorough first-aid training and can quickly contact healthcare professionals should any medical need arise.
Travel Protection Options on Hurtigruten Cruises
An illness, accident, or unexpected situation can arise before or during any vacation. Such an event might cause you to cut short your voyage or cause your trip to be cancelled altogether. Because a cruise is a significant investment, Hurtigruten offers insurance to protect their passengers from financial loss in the event of an emergency. Details and prices vary, as do coverage limits and exclusions. If you decide to purchase insurance, you will have two options: Hurtigruten's plan or the plan offered by our independent insurance provider.
Dining on Hurtigruten Cruises
• Breakfast NOK 165
• Lunch buffet NOK 345
• Dinner NOK 445
• Child discount: 50 % for all children under 16 years
The usual meal times are:
• Breakfast from 07.30 to 10.00 (open seating)
• Lunch from 12.00/13.00 (open seating)
• Dinner times vary according to the itinerary. Typically, dinner starts at 18:00, and there will be a variety of
seating options available (times advised on board).
Full board begins with a buffet dinner on departure from Bergen and ends with brunch on the arrival day
back in Bergen. The food is mainly Norwegian and breakfast is buffet style with a selection of cold meats,
cheese, eggs, cereals, and fruit. Lunch is the famous Cold Table with a choice of fish dishes, cold meats,
salads, a selection of hot dishes, desserts, and fruit. Dinner is a three-course set meal from our coastal menu;
there is not usually a choice of menu. Occasionally the Cold Table may be served in the evening and the set
meal for lunch.
It is safe to drink the tap water on board. Still and sparkling mineral water, soft drinks, and wine can be
purchased in the restaurant. Arctic Superior and Expedition Suites guests have water packages included in
the price of their cabins. Wine packages are only included for Expedition Suites guests, but it is possible to
purchase these packages on board, or upgrade by pre-purchasing the packages before departure.
Specific diets, e.g. vegetarian, gluten-free etc., are generally available if sufficient notice (at least two weeks)
has been given to us in order to advise the ship. All ships are fully licensed; the price level is the same as on
mainland Norway. Restaurant opening hours vary depending on season and number of guests on board.
Further information is available on board.
Tipping Policy on Hurtigruten Cruises
It is not common practice to tip on Hurtigruten ships on the coastal voyage, but if you feel that crew members should be rewarded for providing exceptional service, tip boxes and envelopes are available in the restaurant.
Payments / Refunds on on Hurtigruten Cruises
Norwegian currency is used on board. Most major currencies can be exchanged. Visa, American Express, MasterCard, and Diners Card credit cards are also accepted on board. A cruise card can also be obtained and used for payment and settled at the end of your voyage. (This may be subject to change.) We suggest that guests bring aboard a small amount of local currency (Norwegian Kroner-NOK) in cash. Major credit cards are typically accepted in Norway, although smaller businesses may not accept credit cards. When using credit cards or exchanging money, you may be asked to provide identi?cation.
Payment is due immediately for all online bookings which have a total price of less than $1,340, including taxes and additional charges. For all other bookings, payment is due as follows: i. If the booking is made more than 8 weeks prior to departure a deposit of 20 percent of the total is due immediately. The full amount due must be paid at least 8 weeks before departure. ii. If the booking is made less than 8 weeks prior to departure, the full amount is due immediately.
If you fail to make any payment by the date on which it is due under this contract, Hurtigruten reserves the right to cancel the booking, keep the deposit and demand a cancellation fee in accordance with Section 9 below. In the event of special promotions, the total amount may be due immediately at the time of booking. Your travel documents will be sent as soon as Hurtigruten has received payment, normally no later than 4 weeks prior to departure.
The fare set forth in this contract is stated in U.S. dollars, is per person based on double occupancy and does not include land arrangements or services, unless otherwise expressly agreed in writing by Hurtigruten. The fare does not include items of a personal nature, including but not limited to, laundry, liquor, beer, or wine. The full and correct price of the trip is given before a booking is confirmed, except as set forth below. The fare does not include taxes, fees, port expenses, and charges imposed by governmental or quasi-governmental authorities. Hurtigruten reserves the right to add certain specified additional charges to the price of your booking such as, for example, a fuel surcharge, in the event that there may be increased costs or if an airline raises rates or imposes surcharges up to 30 days before departure. Hurtigruten reserves the right to collect the fare in effect at the time, and as a condition, of embarkation.
Should prices be reduced as a result of the same changes mentioned above, the price adjustment will be credited to you. In the event of price increases of more than 10 percent, you retain the right to cancel your booking at no charge, with a full refund of all amounts paid. Should you wish to cancel your booking as mentioned above, notification of this must be received by Hurtigruten at the below address, at least 14 days from the date of the new invoice showing the increase in price.
CHANGES TO BOOKING BY CUSTOMER
Changes to bookings are considered cancellations and incur all associated fees pursuant to section 9 of this contract. Minor adjustments to bookings may permitted at Hurtigruten’s sole discretion, such as upgrades in accommodation or the addition of excursions or add-ons. For any such adjustments Hurtigruten allows that are made within 90 days of your scheduled departure date, Hurtigruten reserves the right to charge you an administrative fee of USD $75 per person per adjustment, payment of which shall be a condition of embarkation.
Changes in air travel and other arrangements such as shore excursions may also be subject to change fees and/or increases by the air carrier, for which the customer shall be solely responsible.
You or anyone in the booking have/has the right to cancel the booking at any time. All cancellations must be done in writing by the person who has made the booking. The cancellation is effective on the date that Hurtigruten receives the cancellation request at the address provided in this contract. Please Note: There is no refund on bookings that cost less than $1,340 (including taxes and additional charges).
Cancellation fees are calculated according to the following schedule for all other bookings:
|Number of days
prior to departure:
|Cancellation fees in percentage of total booking price:|
|More than 90
of $100 per person
|90 – 61 days before||20%|
|42 – 60 days before||30%|
|28 – 41 days before||60%|
|14 – 27 days before||90%|
|Less than 14 days before||100%|
For trips that are based on pre-paid flights, including any airfare we book on your behalf, the airline company’s booking and cancellation rules will apply to the air portion. Any insurance costs will be additional to the agreed price for the booking. The same applies to any connection travel that does not form part of this booking. You will be responsible for all such costs.
There is no refund of any or all of the booking price for customers who do not show up at the pier for embarkation or who disembark prior to the end of their ticketed cruise itinerary. Should the customer’s cabin include several people, partial cancellation will result in the application of the above penalties to the persons who have cancelled and the remaining customers being charged the applicable prices for the revised number of customers in the cabin. If you have to cancel your booking for reasons that are covered by your insurance, you must apply for a refund from your insurance company for the cancellation fee of your own accord. Insurance premiums are not refundable. Cancellation charges are calculated based on total fares paid to Hurtigruten for all trip components. Cancellation charges will apply notwithstanding that Hurtigruten is able to rebook the cabin in question.
Smoking Policy on Hurtigruten Cruises
Smoking is only permitted in designated areas on the outside decks. Smoking is not permitted when the ships are in port and not allowed on deck during fueling of the ship in BGO. This will be advised by the staff. To show respect for the environment, please use the provided ashtrays. Throwing cigarette butts overboard is strictly prohibited. Smoking in the cabin is prohibited and subject to a cleaning charge to return the cabin to a non-smoking standard.
- Bergen, Norway Cruises (615)
- Baltra, Galapagos Cruises (185)
- Kirkenes, Norway Cruises (184)
- Hamburg, Germany Cruises (51)
- Ushuaia, Argentina Cruises (50)
- Reykjavik, Iceland Cruises (40)
- Longyearbyen, Norway Cruises (39)
- Oslo, Norway Cruises (24)
- Tromso, Norway Cruises (18)
- Dakar, Senegal Cruises (15)
- Punta Arenas, Chile Cruises (13)
- Colon, Panama Cruises (9)
- Europe - Northern Cruises (1041)
- Europe - All Cruises (698)
- Arctic Cruises (611)
- South America Cruises (437)
- Galapagos Cruises (378)
- Antarctica Cruises (74)
- Europe - Western Cruises (55)
- World Cruise Cruises (18)
- Africa Cruises (16)
- Alaska - All Cruises (16)
- Canada Cruises (16)
- USA - New England Cruises (11)
- 2023 Cruises
- 2024 Cruises
- 2025 Cruises
- May 2023 Cruises
- Jun 2023 Cruises
- Jul 2023 Cruises
- Aug 2023 Cruises
- Sep 2023 Cruises
- Oct 2023 Cruises
- Nov 2023 Cruises
- Dec 2023 Cruises
- Jan 2024 Cruises
- Feb 2024 Cruises
- Mar 2024 Cruises
- Apr 2024 Cruises
- May 2024 Cruises
- Jun 2024 Cruises
- Jul 2024 Cruises
- Aug 2024 Cruises
- Sep 2024 Cruises
- Oct 2024 Cruises