Hurtigruten Cruises 4 to 5 Nights 2022/2023
Save up to 75% on Hurtigruten cruises
The Norway cruise line, Hurtigruten, once served as a travel provider between the villages lying along Norway's western coast and was known, in the U.S., as Norwegian Coastal Voyage. Today, Hurtigruten's 9 ships sail on Norwegian coastal express routes and take people on "winter" type adventures to Arctic and Antarctic locales. Journeys, called expeditions, enable travelers to see areas that once were inaccessible to travelers on ships. The itineraries for Hurtigruten voyages are designed to be the focal points of interest for Hurtigruten cruise experiences. Therefore, dining is not emphasized as it is in the U.S. cruise market. For example, two dinner seatings are provided and the ships' 3-course dinners are the same for everyone – all guests receive the same entrée, appetizer, and dessert. While Hurtigruten will acknowledge special dietary requests, some must be made prior to the departure date. Also, the 24-hour café onboard does not offer free snacks or meals. The liquor, beer, and wine, priced in the Norwegian currency, the kroner, are pricey when compared to other cruise travel lines. As a result, destination-rich travel itineraries are at the heart of each Hurtigruten cruise. These cruise/cargo trips do not come equipped with splashy entertainment, Broadway shows, or casino gambling. You are on an expedition – a journey where you can commune with Norway's Great Outdoors and other venues, where the lakes, mountains, and fjords are your primary form of entertainment. All Hurtigruten ships feature a small fitness center on board with the exception of the MS Lofoten, Nordstjernen, and Vesteralen. Some of the newer ships have a swimming pool or hot tub. For example, the Finnmarken boasts a pool while the Fram, Trollfjord, and Midnatsol feature hot tubs. You can visit an Internet café on all the ships, except the MS Vesteralen, Nordstjernen, Lofoten, and Polar Star. Internet use is free. However, the signal may not be as good in some areas as others. With cruise line volume buys plus our low everyday prices you can save up to 80% versus the brochure price! Book your Hurtigruten cruise today with AffordableTours.com, your discounted cruise headquarters.Hurtigruten Travel Guide
Sorry, we were unable to find a cruise for you.
If you've not chosen a criteria, then please do so; otherwise you need to broaden your search criteria to find matches.
Hurtigruten Travel Guide
Hurtigruten Cruises Highlights
- Based in Norway, Hurtigruten was first established by founder, Richard With, as a transportation company in 1893. Today, the cruise line features a fleet of custom-built expedition cruise ships that travel to 200 destinations in 30 countries across the globe.
- The 1893 Ambassador loyalty program refers to the date that Richard With, the founder, established the first weekly service of ship travel along Norway's coast. 1893 Ambassador club members enjoy exclusive benefits onboard ship and receive early notices of special offers or discounts. Complimentary membership is available to anyone who has traveled with Hurtigruten for 3 or more nights.
- Hurtigruten itineraries are frequently described as some of the world's most beautiful journeys. Not only do cruise-goers see stunning scenery, but they can also experience Norway above the Arctic Circle on some of the journeys. The cruise line also offers unique voyages to Antarctica and the Chilean Fjord.
- The Hurtigruten fleet of 9 vessels sails year-round onshore express routes in Norway. Guests can choose from the 6-night northward, 5-night southbound, or 12-night round-trip journeys, stopping at 34 ports-of-call for each one-way route.
- One of the unique cruises offered by Hurtigruten is a voyage to Spitsbergen, an island that lies between the North Pole or Arctic Circle and Norway.
- Hurtigruten's MS Fram makes expedition cruises during the summer to Greenland and operates as Hurtigruten's travel ship for world cruise journeys.
- Hurtigruten cruise ships are also used for cargo shipments. However, they still possess the feel and look of the traditional cruise vessel.
Hurtigruten Cruises Travel Tips
- Hurtigruten is truly not your regular cruise. You won't spend time at formal events or themed gatherings. But you can enjoy some amazing scenery. For example, if you want to see the Northern Lights (the Aurora Borealis) in Norway, Hurtigruten will do its best to help you realize this goal.
- The food is excellent on Hurtigruten cruises. Ship travelers can enjoy a buffet breakfast and lunch while the menu for dinner is posted early in the morning. Although the menu for dinner is set, you can ask about a reasonable alternative without difficulty.
- Hurtigruten staff members are both friendly and helpful, whether they are part of the cleaning crew or serving staff. They also speak more than one language – English, Norwegian, and German are the usual languages spoken.
- If you want a cruise without the frills and want to see some dramatic scenery, you won't be disappointed by the ferry-type cruises offered by Hurtigruten. Because a Hurtigruten vessel is a working ship in Norway, and therefore makes deliveries, you will indeed experience a unique sailing adventure.
- Hurtigruten cruises give you more opportunities to see the scenery and chat with other passengers. The focus is on the destination and communication. If you want a more hands-on cruise experience, this travel adventure will give you a new perspective about seeing the sights and how you spend your time.
- Tours are well-organized. You can go on walking excursions as well as coach trips. If you take a cruise along Norway's coast, the guides can provide you with a lot of interesting details. You will learn a great deal about each locale's history and culture.
- You can see destinations that you cannot see on larger cruise ships. Because Hurtigruten ships make deliveries to villages, you can see sights that you would not be able to visit on a larger cruise vessel.
- Passengers receive a safety briefing before they board their ship.
Hurtigruten Cruises Things To Do
- To understand the demographic for this cruise line, you need to distinguish between who will enjoy a cruise trip on a Hurtigruten ship and who is not the right fit. The audience that bests fits with this type of cruise travel are true adventurers – people who wish to see Nordic scenery, as well as the landscapes of Greenland or Antarctica, or destinations that feature stunning scenery. Travelers who take Hurtigruten cruises adjust well to the lack of big-ship features, such as gala events, lively shows, and specialty restaurants. They are younger and confident travelers who don't mind controlling their own activities. You won't find people taking a Hurtigruten cruise if they require many of the large-scale entertainment options that are featured on the mega cruise ships today. Hurtigruten ships are also not designed for people who are used to working out, although they are made for people who are considered active. For instance, because of their smaller size, ships can stop at a variety of villages and also get involved in a number of intense activities off-shore. The schedule can be vigorous, so this cruise line is not for anyone who cannot keep pace with the itinerary.
Hurtigruten Cruises Frequently Asked Questions
- What is Hurtigruten’s Northern Lights Promise?
The cruise company is so certain that you will see the Aurora Borealis on Norway cruises in the winter that they promise a free cruise if you don't see the lights.
- When is the Northern Lights season?
The Northern Lights season runs from October through March when there is less sunlight. The Northern Lights or Aurora Borealis appear above the Arctic Circle. Therefore, any cruises planned in the far north from October to March will provide you with the best opportunity for experiencing the phenomenon.
- What does an expedition cruise to South Georgia, the Falklands, and Antarctica feature?
This cruise usually takes place for 23 days and begins in Buenos Aries. Cruise-goers will see an abundance of wildlife, including penguins, seals, whales, and birds. Adventurers can also hike, ice-cruise, and kayak in Antarctica, the Falklands, and South Georgia. In addition, guests can go ashore on one of the remote beaches and spend a night in a tent. Cruise guests can view vast numbers of king penguins in South Georgia as well.
- What do you see when you visit Greenland on a Hurtigruten cruise?
This expedition cruise is a summer cruise with itineraries in June and July. Cruise guests explore Greenland's west coast around Disko Bay. This Arctic cruise adventure allows you to see glaciers and icebergs up-close. You can also learn more about the people who live in Greenland as well as the Inuit culture. Travelers visit the Ilulissat Icefjord, which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- How many passengers do Hurtigruten ships hold?
Hurtigruten's purpose-built ships are designed to accommodate 200 to 500 guests.
- Who leads the expedition cruise journeys for groups?
Expedition cruises are led by travel experts, which are passionate about adventure travel who wish to share their knowledge about a specific locale.
- What do your expedition or group tours include?
For this type of trip, all meals are included as well as snacks and coffee. The service is friendly and relaxed – no butler services. Organized offshore activities may include nature exploration, cultural events, or hiking, depending on the voyage's destination. Boots and walking poles are provided when required. Participants also receive an expedition jacket on voyages. Packages include the services of a professional expedition photographer, logbook, and all onboard activities.
- How are cruise types for Hurtigruten classified?
You can select from one of two cruise types when taking a Hurtigruten cruise. You can either select an expedition cruise to one of the various locations, including the Arctic and Antarctica, or a cruise that runs along the coast of Norway.
- Besides Norway, do Hurtigruten cruise ships travel to other Scandinavian cruise destinations, such as Iceland?
Yes. Cruises are featured for the "land of fire and ice," with Reykjavik, Iceland being one of the stops. You will experience the entire coast of Iceland and do some whale watching as well.
- What makes Hurtigruten different?
Hurtigruten offers Norway coastal cruises and expedition cruises on purpose-built working ships. Therefore, these ships ferry people from one port to the next, and cruise-goers get involved in active excursions. If you want to see the Arctic and Antarctic scenery or explore the coasts in destinations, such Norway, Iceland, Greenland, and Scotland, your no-frills journey will give you the chance to truly realize the best in a remote cruise journey or adventure travel cruise.
How It Works
Vacationing has never been easier or cheaper with the help of a dedicated travel consultant from AffordableTours.com
1. Free Quote
Find your perfect trip on our website and simply request a free quote. Need to speak to a live person? Call us 7 days a week at 1-800-627-3753. No robots here!
2. Dedicated Travel Consultant
Your personal travel consultant will reach out and be your point of contact for your entire travel experience from start to finish. Did we mention you'll be working with an award winning team? Sweet!
3. Lowest Price Guaranteed
Because we're one of the largest sellers of travel, we're able to give you a discount on your vacation package. No one beats our prices!
4. Stress Free Travel
Knowing you got the best deal, all that's left is for you to pack your bags and enjoy your vacation!