Cunard Cruises from Tokyo, Japan 2024/2025
Save up to 75% on Cunard cruises
The 3 ships of Cunard regularly receive accolades for their stylish furnishings and elegant interiors, keeping up with the cruise line's tradition of onboard opulence. The ocean cruise brand is unique, as it offers secluded dining for select passengers. Therefore, guests staying in staterooms dine at a different venue than passengers who occupy suites. Outside your luxurious lodging, you can relax and savor dining options, such as the Golden Lion, known for its steaks and pub drinks on all 3 ships of the Cunard fleet. The cruise line, as of 2020, also features one-way and round-trip transatlantic crossings to major cities across the U.S. Europe, Canada, the Middle East, the Pacific Islands, and Australia. The shore excursions you have access to depend on a cruise's schedule and length. As of 2020, cruise voyages on Cunard last from 2 to 113 nights. Examples of excursions include a scenic drive along the Amalfi Coast of Italy or a desert safari in Durban, South Africa. Cunard's ships feature casino gambling, art galleries, enrichment programs, ballroom dance instruction, lectures, and computer classes for guests. Cruise guests like the fact they can choose from various cabin classes and several specialty restaurants. With cruise line volume buys plus our low everyday prices you can save up to 80% versus the brochure price! Book your Cunard cruise today with AffordableTours.com, your discounted cruise headquarters.
Cunard Travel Guide
No additional results exist.
Cunard Cruises Highlights
- Cunard Line is a British cruise brand whose hub is Carnival House, Southampton England. The cruise company is overseen by Carnival UK and owned by Carnival Corporation & plc.
- The cruise line and its 3 ships are registered in Hamilton, Bermuda, and have been registered there since 2011.
- Between 1909 and 1929, the Mauretania, owned by Cunard, held the record for the fastest eastern crossing of the Atlantic Ocean.
- When the Mauretania was built in 1907, the shipbuilders conveyed testing results secretly by using carrier pigeons, just in case the vessel had a problem.
- Cunard's Britannia made her first sea voyage in 1840. The ship, which sailed from Liverpool to Boston, had 63 passengers on board along with 93 crew members. A cow was also on the ship to provide the passengers and crew with fresh milk.
- Sails were used on early Cunard liners to stabilize the ships during stormy and rough weather.
- Author, Charles Dickens, shared his 1842 voyage to the U.S. on Cunard's Britannia in Chapter 2 of his book, American Notes.
- During the Crimean War, Cunard ships were used for hospitals.
- Cunard's Lucania was the first sea vessel to feature suites. The onboard accommodations featured two cabins that were connected, in-between, by a sitting room.
- It is believed that Cunard's ship, the Queen Mary, was originally meant to be named Queen Victoria. When a Cunard proposed the ship's name to King George V, it requested that the ship be named for the greatest queen in England, which it understood was the king's grandmother, Queen Victoria. However, King George misinterpreted Cunard's meaning and agreed that his wife, Queen Mary, would be pleased to know that the ship would be named after her.
- Cunard's historic ship, the Queen Mary, is now a floating hotel in Long Beach, California.
- Cunard has always figured prominently in the history of England. As of 2010, the cruise lines' three main vessels include the RMS Queen Mary, the MS Queen Victoria, and the MS Queen Elizabeth.
- The RMS Queen Mary entered service in 2004.
- Cunard features cruises from the US and Canada, event cruises, world voyages, grand voyages, transatlantic crossings, and Christmas cruises.
Cunard Cruises Travel Tips
- Cunard offers two types of cabins - suites or staterooms, either of which will determine where you will eat your evening meal.
- Britannia's standard staterooms provide inside ocean view and balcony accommodations for single or double occupancy. Amenities include a refrigerator, satellite TV, and minibar along with 24-hour room service and evening turndown service. Dining is provided in the main dining room, or the Britannia Restaurant, on all 3 of Cunard's ships. Dinner seating is available at 6:00 p.m. or 8:30 p.m. each night.
- The allure of voyaging on Queen Elizabeth is related to the ship's graceful appeal for cruise travelers. The ship provides guests with one-of-a-kind sailing experiences to Japan, Alaska, Australia, and East Asia.
- Cunard's World Voyage takes place over 108 nights, and begins and ends in Southampton, England. Travel is aboard Queen Victoria, which takes cruise travelers to over 30 iconic ports all across the world, including the city of Sydney. Cruise travelers can also visit the Far East and explore the sights on an adventure in Africa.
- While you won't find the same family-friendly amenities you see on Carnival or Disney ships, you will still participate in interesting and more traditional activities. Cruise-goers can get their heart pumping with games, such as paddle tennis or shuffleboard. You can also practice your golf game using a golf simulator. Relaxing poolside is always on Cunard's list of must-do activities.
- Although the cruise line offers plenty of entertainment for older adults, it does not leave out the kids. The cruise line features programs for the younger cruise passengers, 2 to 17 years old. Some of the activities include movies and arts and crafts in designated kid-friendly areas called the Kid Zone and Teen Zone.
- The ships feature complimentary child care in their night nursery, open from 6:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. each day. The nursery provides care for children 6 months to 23 months of age.
- Cunard Insights represents a lecture program that features speakers from various fields, ranging from science to literature.
- Wine dinners, sommelier-led wine tastings, and wine-themed events are part of the offerings for onboard entertainment.
- Regular nighttime entertainment includes a mix of theater, dance, and live musicals.
- Formal themed galas are part of the nighttime offerings.
- Cunard's dining options range from casual buffets, which are featured during the day, to formal restaurant fare, offered in relation to a guest's chosen accommodation.
- Light snacks are provided in a casual atmosphere in the Lido Restaurant on Queen Victoria and Queen Mary.
- King's Court Eatery provides quick repasts for anyone sailing on the Queen Mary 2.
- The Queen's Room features afternoon teas. White-gloved waiters serve tea and scones supported by orchestral music.
Cunard Cruises Things To Do
- People who wish to experience an Old World cruise experience like to book journeys on Cunard. You will find many cruise-goers are 50 or older, and enjoy the traditional trappings and decor of each of Cunard's historic ships. However, that does not mean that Cunard does not appeal to families, as many young families sail during the summer months. People who are older or who are retired like the longer trips featured by the ocean cruise company. Because the ships lack the modern activities offered by mainstream competitors, ocean travelers, who book on Cunard, prefer a quiet and traditional type of voyage. Therefore, people sailing on Cunard are seeking a relaxing sailing experience and enriching intellectual programs and activities. Anyone who wishes to participate in a more active journey may be disappointed. In fact, gratuities are not included in the cruise fare, so tipping the service personnel and crew is a regular traditional activity. You tend to escape to an earlier time and place when you choose a cruise on a Cunard's vessel. Most programs onboard are directed to an older sailing clientele, made up of well-seasoned cruise travelers from the U.S., U.K., and various international locales. Cunard reminds travelers of its cruise history - of its famous guests, champagne toasts, and elegant dining, all of which make Cunard a special choice when embarking on any type of cruise journey.
Cunard Cruises Frequently Asked Questions
What are the specialty dining options?
All 3 of Cunard's ships feature a steakhouse specialty restaurant that is not included in the price of your fare. Buffets are also featured on the 3 Cunard ships. The establishment is known as the Lido Restaurant on Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth, and the King's Court on Queen Mary 2. Reservations for specialty dining can be made 3 months prior to your sail date through Cunard's Voyage Personalizer or by calling the Customer Contact Center and paying a cover charge.
What is the cruise line’s dress code?
While shirts, shorts, and beachwear are suitable for daywear, anyone wearing the clothing after 6:00 p.m. will be asked to go to the King's Court or Lido Restaurant for dinner. When women dine in the more formal restaurants on board ship, they are expected to wear longer maxi skirts, tailored pantsuits, or cocktail dresses. Men should wear crew neck sweaters, shirts with a tie or an open collar, and sports blazers. For gala nights, men are typically expected to wear tuxedos and women should wear formal evening gowns. Some exceptions may prevail, especially, for instance, if the theme of the night is the "Roaring Twenties."
What are some of the alternative dining venues featured onboard?
For an additional cost, you can choose alternative dining in one of a variety of themed restaurants. For example, the Steakhouse at the Verandah showcases tender prime ribs and seafood. You can also sample Mexican and Aztec cuisine at the King's Court or Lido Restaurant. Bamboo features Asian delicacies while La Piazza provides Italian specialties. The Smokehouse Restaurant offers menu selections that are inspired by the traditional American grill. Your taste buds will never get bored when you take a cruise trip on Cunard.
How do you book or cancel an offshore excursion?
To book a Cunard offshore excursion, you can, about 12 weeks before sailing, reserve an excursion through Cunard's Voyage Personaliser. You can also make reservations to join an offshore excursion 3 days before your cruise's embarkation date. You will need to remit a payment upon booking the excursion. If you decide to cancel an offshore trip, cancel the reservation 7 days before the planned activity via Cunard's Voyage Personaliser.
What is the Voyage Personaliser?
The Voyage Personaliser is made available through the portal, My Cunard, which assists you in preparing for your cruise holiday. Manage your travel details, book offshore excursions in advance, and add amenities to your journey on the platform. The "My Cunard" account portal can be accessed until you set sail. You need to log in with your cruise's booking number.
Learn More About Cunard Cruises
Why Travel Is Worthwhile: Creating Lifelong Memories
Traveling is an incredible way to enrich our lives and create memories that will last forever. Whether you’re exploring new cultures, trying new foods, or taking in breathtaking sights, traveling offers experiences that can change us in profound ways. In today’s fast-paced world, it’s easy to get caught up in our daily routines and forget…
- Southampton, England Cruises (255)
- New York (Brooklyn), NY Cruises (102)
- Rome, Italy Cruises (89)
- Barcelona, Spain Cruises (53)
- Hamburg, Germany Cruises (49)
- Trieste, Italy Cruises (43)
- Miami, Florida Cruises (33)
- Sydney, Australia Cruises (32)
- Seattle, Washington Cruises (16)
- Vancouver, Canada Cruises (14)
- Yokohoma, Japan Cruises (13)
- Hong Kong, China Cruises (13)
How It Works
Vacationing has never been easier or cheaper with the help of a dedicated travel consultant from AffordableTours.com
1. Free Quote
Find your perfect trip on our website and simply request a free quote. Need to speak to a live person? Call us 7 days a week at 1-800-627-3753. No robots here!
2. Dedicated Travel Consultant
Your personal travel consultant will reach out and be your point of contact for your entire travel experience from start to finish. Did we mention you'll be working with an award winning team? Sweet!
3. Lowest Price Guaranteed
Because we're one of the largest sellers of travel, we're able to give you a discount on your vacation package. No one beats our prices!
4. Stress Free Travel
Knowing you got the best deal, all that's left is for you to pack your bags and enjoy your vacation!