Show Whittier Sailings
Whittier is nestled between the glacier-capped Chugach mountains and Prince William Sound. Built by the U.S. Government during World War II as a hidden port, today Whittier is the gateway to a recreational wonderland. In May of 2000, a highway from Whittier to the Interior opened to the public. This spectacular drive from the edge of Prince William Sound through the Chugach mountains winds through a series of tunnels, and connects Whittier to Anchorage only 45 miles to the south. Travelers also have the option of taking the famed Alaska Railroad from Whittier all the way to Fairbanks.
Things to Do
A great place to visit is the Begich Towers Incorporated. This is a 14 story complex that has restaurants, cafes, shops, and a church.
Dog sledding is very popular here. Have a great time dog sledding with a tour guide through snow trails throughout the area. A great activity to do when you are in the city.
Directions from Anchorage International Airport
- Start off by going West on Service Road toward Point Woronzof Drive
- Turn RIGHT onto Airport Access Drive
- Turn LEFT onto Raspberry Road
- Take the Minnesota Drive South Ramp
- Merge onto Minnesota Drive
- Minnesota Drive becomes Omalley Road
- Take Seward Hwy South Ramp
- Merge onto Seward Hwy / AK-1 S / Interstate A1 S
- Turn LEFT onto Portage Glacier Road
- Keep LEFT at the fork to continue on Portage Glacier Road
- Portage Glacier Road becomes Portage Glacier Hwy
- Turn RIGHT onto West Camp Road
- Turn RIGHT onto Whittier Street
- Turn RIGHT onto Glacier Ave.
- Turn LEFT onto Billings Street
- End at Whittier, AK
How It Works
Vacationing has never been easier or cheaper with the help of a dedicated travel consultant from AffordableTours.com
1. Free Quote
Find your perfect trip on our website and simply request a free quote. Need to speak to a live person? Call us 7 days a week at 1-800-627-3753. No robots here!
2. Dedicated Travel Consultant
Your personal travel consultant will reach out and be your point of contact for your entire travel experience from start to finish. Did we mention you'll be working with an award winning team? Sweet!
3. Lowest Price Guaranteed
Because we're one of the largest sellers of travel, we're able to give you a discount on your vacation package. No one beats our prices!
4. Stress Free Travel
Knowing you got the best deal, all that's left is for you to pack your bags and enjoy your vacation!