AmaWaterways River Cruises
Award-winning European river cruise operator AmaWaterways leads the way in river cruising on the great waterways of Europe, Southeast Asia and Africa. AmaWaterways was founded in 2002 by 3 industry experts with the shared goal of offering luxury, all-inclusive river cruise vacations for travelers wanting a different type of cruise experience. Today, AmaWaterways boasts more than 22 itineraries plus immersive wine and art cruises.
Best Europe Wine River Cruises With AmaWaterways
These four wine river cruises with AmaWaterways will take you to different regions that are essential to the making of authentic European wines.
Review: Vietnam, Cambodia And The Riches Of The Mekong River With AmaWaterways
By: Derek Miller, Travel Consultant Vietnam is country with a rich history. At the beginning of my cruise on the Mekong river with AmaWaterways, I went to the Independence Palace, which serves as one of the many museums that Saigon has to offer. It’s known as Saigon by its people who live there but Ho Chi Minh…
Call for Best Value and Service
- Free Land ProgramMention Promo Code: PR3098
- Exclusive, Receive up to $300 Onboard Credit on 2023 SailingsMention Promo Code: PR2894
- $100 per person Military Service Member SavingsMention Promo Code: PR2711
Learn More About AmaWaterways River Cruises
AMA Waterways is currently celebrating 18 fantastic years on the river, and with such a long-standing company, you can expect some very skilled individuals keep it running smooth. AMA Waterways was founded in 2002 by three families who all share in intense love in travelling. Co-Founder and President Rudi Schreiner was born in Vienna, right at the heart of the Danube. His travels would take him to various parts of the globe, including South America for a journalism assignment on the Amazon. After this trip, he decided that working in travel was his true passion, and he created many unique tour experiences in Europe. Rudi then ventured into the North American market, and he is responsible for many of the river cruise companies that are alive and well today. After many years of success, he decided that it was time to create his own venture company and teamed up with Kristin Karst and Jimmy Murphy to create AMA Waterways. They worked for many years coming up with various ideas and travel routes. They wanted to create something that they themselves would use and enjoy. With that in mind, they came up with the highest-quality lodgings, locally sourced food and wine, incredible ships with a sense of elegance, and amazing views of the ever-changing countryside. With AMA Waterways building their own ships and adding all these extra luxuries into their staterooms and lounges, they have managed to completely redefine the river cruise experience. They strive to ensure that each and every guest that comes aboard is treated like they are a part of the family. While 2020 has thrown a wrench in many travel plans, AMA Waterways ensures its guests that they are ready to resume operation as soon as it has been deemed safe to do so. They have been keeping busy, building three new ships, five new incredible itineraries in Europe, and a fascinating new exotic itinerary on the Egypt's Nile River!
- Began as a tour group operating in Europe. Expanded to North America and now has itineraries for many ports around the globe.
- Opened in 2002, with 18 amazing years in operation.
- Known as an internationally recognized luxury travel company.
- All of the tours are very interactive and "high-end," offering you more than a regular tour ever could. Closer attention to detail is guaranteed from all tour operators.
- If you are unsure as to what you would like to do, the company is also available to fully plan your trip, leaving you with a relaxing experience packed with potential.
- An immense variety of ports means more unique travel destinations and options.
- Personalized guest service that is beyond anything you could imagine.
- More excursions offered than any other company. The tours are amazing, but the excursions are even more so, giving you many fun, interesting, and adrenaline rushing activities to participate in.
- Incredible awards and ratings including having the highest rated river cruise ships in Europe.
- Fewer guests onboard means less packed amenities and tours.
- Private tours are available to be booked if you are looking to do something away from the groups.
- Award-winning dining experiences are offered in four different restaurant options aboard the ship.
Top Reasons To Choose AmaWaterways River Cruises
- They specialize in high-end travel experiences and are always asking what they can do to help enhance your experience.
- Concierge services that will connect your flight to your ship and everything in between, leaving you with nothing to worry about on your trip.
- Unpack once and never worry about anything else while you are with us enjoying your stay.
- Quick embarkation and disembarkation mean more time to explore, and quicker access to the ship for anything you may need from us or your room.
- Smaller accommodations mean a more spacious and uncrowded experience all around.
- Well-versed in the ways of Innovation and Sustainability, with 18 of our European ships earning the Green Award for environmental performance.
- Slower river cruises mean more time to enjoy the scenery and the ports, and then relax and enjoy the many amenities that the ship has to offer.
- The personalized service is unmatched by any other company, offering you a family-like experience while you enjoy your stay with us.
- Knowledgeable cruise managers and tour guides offer you the best guided experiences that you can find.
- Excursions are available for every comfort level, from walking tours, to guided biking tours, and even hikes.
- Smaller tour groups, often 10-15 guests, means more personal attention.
- Dedicated wellness hosts onboard each cruise offer you daily exercise routines and classes to keep help enhance your best self.
- Incredible award-winning dining experiences are available at any one of our four onboard restaurant options.
Frequently Asked Questions About AmaWaterways River Cruises
- What kind of trips can I take with you?
The type of trip that you wish to take is completely up to you! While all of our trips are river-based cruises, the choice of location, tours, and excursions are completely in your hands. We offer a variety of cruises in Europe, Asia, Africa, and Egypt allowing you to explore some of the most amazing destinations in the world. We also have a variety of specialty cruises available, including Christmas Cruises, Wine cruises, and many others.
- How much would a tour cost?
The cost of your tour is entirely based on a number of factors. First, you will need to choose a destination from the many that we have available. You can then book your tours and plan out your itinerary. Finally, you need to come up with a timeline for how long you plan on cruising with us. One of our most popular cruises is the Seine River cruise, taking you to various ports in France. The prices for these cruises vary from $2,300 up to $4,100 depending on length of stay and ports being visited. However, you need to keep in mind that this amount is also all-inclusive, meaning all of your lodging, travel for each tour and excursion, the tours and excursions themselves, and all meals are provided under this initial cost.
- Can I take my family with the guide and not be stuck with other people?
Private tours are an option for sure. We have a large number of tour guides available to provide you with this more personalized experience if that is what you are craving. However, once you are on board the river cruise, you will be able to mingle with other residents of the ship and might choose to chare these experiences with them as well!
- Can I tell the agent what I want out of the trip?
That is the best part about AMA Waterways: the ability to almost completely customize your trip using our incredible team for help. By calling our customer service team, you can tell us where you wish to travel and let us start making plans for you. Give us a list of things that you are hoping for and we will do our best to find you a cruise that will check as much off that list as we possibly can. Because of our wide variety of travel destinations and tour options, we ensure that we will give you a completely memorable vacation.
- Do they have support that can help me regardless of what time?
Of course! We know that not everyone operates on the same time schedule, and as such, we have operators that are working around the clock to help you with any questions or concerns that you may have. Whether you're an early bird or a night owl, we are working around the clock to ensure that your questions are answered right when you ask them. We also pride ourselves in our ability to work with any travel agency that you are looking to book through, should you decide not to book with us directly. All information is provided in a reasonable time to the travel agency so that they can help us help you book your next incredible vacation.
- What do the guides do for you?
The guides are well versed in the history of each individual place that they take you and are your key to unlocking everything there is to know about a certain landmark or tourist attraction. They have been carefully selected based on their knowledge and communication skills, as well as their willingness to enhance your vacation experience while with us. The guides are there to answer any questions that you may have.
- Do they have specialists that are working in each place?
We have incredible knowledgeable specialist that work in each place that you will encounter while on your vacation with us. Whether you have questions about some places that you wish to visit, are looking for recommendations on shopping areas, or just want to learn more about each area, our specialists are ready to assist in whatever way that they can.
- What type of way can you travel when you are traveling through AMA Waterways?
The cruise ship is the big mode of transportation, obviously; however, when we dock in each port, you may find yourself travelling by different means. Any offsite excursions or tours will have their own mode of transport to help you reach the destination. This can include cars, busses, and even smaller boats and ferries.
- Who customizes the itinerary or things you are going to do ahead of time?
The itinerary is customized by our team of incredible tour providers who are familiar with each are that we make port in. However, there are a wide variety of itineraries that can be chosen from. We can guarantee that no two river cruises through AMA Waterways are ever the same. While the ports may stay the same, the experiences will differ based on what you are looking for in a vacation. Our amazing customer service team can ensure that you are on the best cruise for you!
- Where do you stay while you are at the destinations?
The luxury of booking a river cruise is never having to worry about your lodging while you are at each destination. Step off the ship to explore the port city and surrounding areas and ensure that you return to the ship before we disembark for our next location. You have the freedom to do what you would like in between and can be comforted knowing that your stateroom is waiting for you whenever you decide to turn in!
- Why are AMA Waterways known as an ‘insider’ travel experience?
This "Insider" travel experience is something that is quite unique to various cruise companies, including AMA Waterways. We have specialists that are able to take you into places during your travels that are usually off-limits to tourists. These specialists know everything that there is to know about these locations and are ready to give you a completely unique experience.
- Is there a single supplement that can be used for travelers who are solo?
There is, and we suggest utilizing it. Some of the most incredible vacations can be had when you travel as a single passenger, and we want to do what we can to encourage it. That is why we offer a 25% Single Supplement to those who wish to explore the world, meet other cruisers, and become a part of the AMA Waterways family.
- On average, what is the group size like?
We are lucky to have a rather large fleet of river cruise ships, meaning we can offer more intimate cruise settings with lower passenger numbers. In most cases our ships set sail with 165 guests on board, or less. This means a more spacious and personalized experience for everyone on board. This also keeps most tour group sizes between 10-15 people, offering you an even more immersive guided tour of your choice.
Health and Safety Protocols on AmaWaterways River Cruises
Whether you are a loyal past guest or are considering river cruising with us for the first time, we thank you for entrusting AmaWaterways with your future river cruise plans. Here are some of the measures we are taking to protect our guests on board and ashore:
- Prior to boarding, an online health and contact screening questionnaire will be required.
- At embarkation, guests’ temperatures will be taken with no-contact infrared thermometers. If, for any reason, further testing is required, shoreside medical treatment centers are within close proximity.
- Your luggage handles will be sanitized before delivery to your stateroom.
- Protocols continue to change; however, at this time, guests are required to wear face coverings when moving through public spaces.
- We will have ample hand sanitizers available throughout the ship and their frequent use is required by all guests and crew.
- Our crew has implemented enhanced cleaning and disinfecting measures throughout the ship.
- We use state-of-the-art fan coil air conditioning units; there is no recirculating of air on board our ships.
- There will be limitations to the number of guests allowed to sail with us.
- Safety and social distancing will be enhanced throughout our dining room.
- You will still get plenty of fresh air and exercise as our bicycles, fitness mats and equipment will be thoroughly sanitized after each use. Use of the Fitness Room is by appointment with cleaning time between use. Throughout Europe and Asia, we provide a variety of onboard wellness activities led by professionally trained Wellness Hosts. Whenever weather permits, these small-group classes will be held on our spacious open-air Sun Decks.
- Non-essential visitors are not permitted on board.
- Your personal portable Quietvox commentary systems will allow you to hear guides while social distancing.
- Shore excursions will be conducted in small groups. Guests must use hand sanitizers when getting on and off our coaches that are thoroughly cleaned each morning.
- In the event that ships are docked side by side, guests will be required to pass over Sun Decks.
AMAWATERWAYS is my favorite
I totally enjoyed the experience with AMA Waterways. Everyone was courteous and took care of the passengers. Even laundry was not a rip-off, and the clothes came back quickly. The room was cleaned thoroughly every day, it was amazingly clean. Food was excellent as well - sometimes I felt the portion sizes were not sufficient, and the waitstaff accommodated my request for more food, i.e. give me another main course. A minor complaint is that the wines included with lunch/dinner were average to good.
We continue to be highly satisfied with both AmaWaterways and Affordable Tours.
Every single worker was friendly, kind and helpful on the AmaStella. Highly recommend this company.
- Germany River Cruises (1641)
- France River Cruises (1202)
- Hungary River Cruises (1075)
- Austria River Cruises (1002)
- Slovakia River Cruises (834)
- Netherlands River Cruises (772)
- Switzerland River Cruises (678)
- Czech Republic River Cruises (362)
- Croatia River Cruises (276)
- Romania River Cruises (276)
- Serbia River Cruises (276)
- Bulgaria River Cruises (276)
- Danube River Cruises (1626)
- Rhine River Cruises (842)
- Douro River Cruises (391)
- Seine River Cruises (233)
- Magdalena River Cruises (218)
- Rhone River Cruises (207)
- Nile River Cruises (197)
- Chobe River Cruises (162)
- Mekong River Cruises (142)
- Dordogne River Cruises (120)
- Garonne River Cruises (120)
- Main River Cruises (111)
- 2023 River Cruises
- 2024 River Cruises
- 2025 River Cruises
- May 2023 River Cruises
- Jun 2023 River Cruises
- Jul 2023 River Cruises
- Aug 2023 River Cruises
- Sep 2023 River Cruises
- Oct 2023 River Cruises
- Nov 2023 River Cruises
- Dec 2023 River Cruises
- Jan 2024 River Cruises
- Feb 2024 River Cruises
- Mar 2024 River Cruises
- Apr 2024 River Cruises
- May 2024 River Cruises
- Jun 2024 River Cruises
- Jul 2024 River Cruises
- Aug 2024 River Cruises
- Sep 2024 River Cruises
- Oct 2024 River Cruises
We are returning passengers on AmaWaterways river cruises having just completed our 9th cruise. We have thoroughly enjoyed each cruise with AmaWaterways and we will certainly cruise with them again. They are wonderful hosts and their treatment of guests is excellent from ship Captain to cabin attendants. Their performance has always exceeded our expectations. Our last cruise was marred with unfortunate strikes in France but AmaWaterways and the Cruise Manager scrambled to provide a pleasant cruise experience. The mark of a true customer-oriented high quality organization is how they perform in adversity and AmaWaterways performed brilliantly to provide a very positive and enjoyable experience!